Although Aleia Walker earned her bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing, she wound up taking a job as an insurance claims adjuster “just for the sake of getting a job.” She then found her way into self-employment as a freelance web designer and developer.
Her business was booming—but it didn’t feel right. Despite her fears about looking flighty, she got gutsy and made another change. Aleia realized she really loved email marketing and set out to build it into a business.
The pivot paid off, and even the air around Aleia began to feel different when she was finally working on her purpose. She’s found more success than ever before. “I’m happier, and more energetic about all the things—even when it’s tax time,” she says. “I chose this life and it’s so exciting to live it.”
- It’s important to have gratitude even for jobs you don’t love (2:50)
- Reframing your thoughts and words about bad situations can change everything (3:45)
- It’s normal to fear looking flighty during times of transition (5:33)
- There comes a point when you have to stop caring about how things appear and focus on how they feel to you (7:21)
- Trying to do everything can lead to burnout (9:18)
- It can be easier to time a pivot with a natural break in your business (10:20)
- Making a pivot in your business involves logistical changes in addition to mindset shifts (11:17)
- Working in your purpose makes everything feel better (12:30)
- You get to decide if you’re happy or not (13:50)
- Don’t make major changes “cold turkey” (15:20)
- Money mindset work is so important when you go from getting a paycheck to paying yourself— and taking Becky’s Money Mindset course can help (17:55)
Aleia Walker crafts email marketing and tech funnels for busy creatives who don’t have time to figure out where all the pieces go. She’s a word and data nerd who loves getting in the weeds and coming back and presenting you the goods. With a degree in Creative Writing, she’s found a way to blend my love for nice things (and nicer spirits) to create experiences that move customers and clients into action and more profits into your pockets so you can spend more time serving your people.
Journaling for Success
Grab this free workbook filled with daily questions to fuel your journaling for self-discovery and business growth.