15 Tips for a Better, More Productive Monday
By Becky Mollenkamp, PCC
Have a case of the Mondays? I get it. It can be difficult to get back into the swing of a workweek after a few days off. It’s possible, though, to make Mondays better.
Here are my favorite tips for kick the week off on the right foot, and increasing your productivity all week long.
1. Plan ahead: Before wrapping up your week on Friday, take a few minutes to create a prioritized to-do list for the next week. This will make it easier to regain focus on Monday morning. I love using a paper planner for this.
2. Rest up: Go to bed a little early on Sunday nights so you get a full 8 hours of sleep. Nothing makes a day worse than starting it after a bad night’s sleep.
3. Think better: Before you get out of bed on Mondays, tell yourself, “today is going to be amazing!” Repeat until you start to believe it. Changing your thoughts will change your feelings and outcomes.
4. Start smart: If you can make time for it, a morning workout never fails to kick a day off right. This healthy start will give you more energy and improve your attitude—guaranteed.
5. Eat breakfast: Your mom told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day, and she wasn’t lying. Starting the day with a healthy breakfast can give you more energy and a mental edge.
6. Get dressed: Even if you’re tired, take the time to put on an outfit that makes you feel good. If you like doing your hair and/or makeup, do that as well. Putting in a little effort to feel comfortable in our skin goes a long way toward making the day feel better.
7. Scale back: Setting more priorities than is realistic only kicks your week off with disappointment. Humans tend to overestimate what they can accomplish in the short term (and underestimate what they can do in the long term). Less is more, so try to choose just one thing you want to do by day’s end.
8. Clear clutter: Before digging in to your to-do list on Monday morning, spend 15 minutes clearing your desk and computer of clutter. It’s easier to focus without all the distractions.
9. Make notes: Throughout the week, write inspirational quotes or one-line love letters to yourself on sticky notes. When Monday starts to weigh you down, review these notes.
10. Spread joy: Make Monday a day of praise. Take a few minutes to tell coworkers or vendors you appreciate them, to give a LinkedIn recommendation, or send your partner a quick “You’re awesome” text. Shining the light on others will inevitably brighten your day, too.
11. Get outside: When weather allows, take a 15-minute break to head outside and soak up some sun and natural air. It’s amazing how much difference these little breathers can make.
12. Chill out: If you feel yourself starting to stress out, take a 10-minute break (even if you have to do it in the bathroom stall) to calm down through meditation. Need help getting started? Check out the Black-owned and voice Shine app for help.
13. Rock out: Pick your perkiest playlist to keep your toes tapping and the minutes ticking by quickly. Give the Gutsy Boss playlist on Spotify a shot!
14. Be social: Planning a happy hour or other fun after-work activity will give you something to look forward to all day, which helps time fly. Plus, you may start to associate Mondays with fun!
15. Drink caffeine: When all else fails…coffee or Coke can do wonders for your attitude!